“No ideas but in things.” – William Carlos Williams
Frederick Greenhalgh has brought location-recording techniques from his indie film background to the production of audio drama. His award-winning shows have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, BBC Radio 4, NPR and numerous regional publications. Most recently he recorded all location dialogue and oversaw dialogue editing for Audible’s adaptation of LOCKE & KEY by Joe Hill and Gabe Rodriguez.
Bio, the long story:
Fred Greenhalgh has been writing stories since his childhood in downeast Maine. His determination to leave his home town got him as far as the University of Southern Maine, and two years later he took a university-sponsored exchange to the University of New Orleans.
As he studied film in New Orleans he became entranced with the vibrant, melancholy, and exuberant local culture. Living in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood, he completed an independent project on the street culture of New Orleans.
After Hurricane Katrina, Fred returned to Maine feeling like he still had a lot to say about his adopted and beloved city. These ideas coalesced into his first radio drama (and senior thesis), Day of the Dead. Day of the Dead was released in May 2006, the same month Fred graduated USM with a BA in Media Studies with University Honors.
Having found his calling in radio drama, Fred continues to produce his own short stories and those of other fine writers as FinalRune Productions (see Why FinalRune? if you want the story on the name). He now applies on-location recording principles similar to what he learned in film school to audio drama.
Fred’s pursuits to master the craft have brought him to the National Audio Theatre Festivals‘ week-long workshop in 2007, and then in 2009 to Ireland to visit his friend and mentor Roger Gregg. He has studied audio engineering with Dave Moulton at the University of Maine Augusta and taught sound design and radio drama at his alma mater, the University of Southern Maine.
With the publication of a front-page Wall Street Journal Article on February 25, 2010, FinalRune’s work has been catapulted into the national spotlight. His current major endeavor is writing, funding and producing his original speculative fiction serial, The Cleansed. Seasons 1 and 2 are released and available worldwide through a distribution agreement with Blackstone Audiobooks. Season 3 is in post-production and slated for release in Spring, 2015. Fred also worked on the adaptation (Books 4-6) and recorded all location dialogue and oversaw dialogue editing for Audible’s adaptation of LOCKE & KEY by Joe Hill and Gabe Rodriguez.
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 3
Guest / Writer – Red Flannel Radio “The Curiosities” with Tim Sample
Director/Producer – A Journey With Strange Bedfellows (Commission by Forest Rose Productions)
Field Sound/Producer – Locke and Key with Audible and AudioComics
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 2
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Season 1
Location Recording – Intensive Care
Writer/Director/Producer – The Cleansed: Pilot, The Troll of Stony Brook, Joe Gunther Audio Pilot
Director – Live Radio Drama and Bean Supper, USM Theater Dept. Radio Drama Collaboration
Sound Designer – Severed Threads for BBC Radio 4
Writer/Director/Producer – Begathon Shorts
Director/Producer – Mad Horse OTR Project, Live Halloween Radio Show
Writer/Director/Producer – Waiting for a Window
Writer/Director/Producer – Fall of the Hero, Begathon Special
Director/Producer – Tales from Williamsville
Writer/Director/Producer – Day of the Dead, The Blind Man’s Confession
Awards and Honors
- 2014 – Finalist in Radio Romania’s “Grand Prix Nova” international radio drama contest
- 2012 – Maine Arts Commission “Good Idea Grant” Recipient
- 2011 – RØDE Microphones signs on as in-kind sponsor
- 2011 – Gold Ogle for Best Horror Audio Drama – Intensive Care
- 2010 – Coffee by Design “Rebel Blend” Arts Grant Recipient
- 2010 – Silver Mark Time for Best Sci-Fi Audio Drama – The Cleansed, Prologue
- 2010 – Golden Mini Disc Award – Best Writing – The War on Poverty
- 2008 – Gold Ogle Award for Best Fantasy Audio Drama – Waiting for a Window
- February 15, 2010 – “Return With Us to the Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear – Via the Internet.” – A4, Wall Street Journal – View online or Download Article PDF)
- April 24, 2007 – “The podcast’s the thing to revive radio drama,” The Guardian, – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- October 21, 2011 – “Maine-based Director Resurrects Audio Drama on New Stage: The Internet” – MPBN – Audio story, listen online
- October 17, 2011 – “Spooky sounds: North Dam is site of Halloween radio drama recording” – Journal Tribune
- October 19, 2010 – “WKIT to premier Mainer’s horror radio play” – Bangor Daily News – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- May 7, 2010 – “Alfred man at leading edge of radio drama’s online revival” – Bangor Daily News – View online, or Download Article (PDF)
- March 17, 2010 – “Solar Powered Mind Movies” – Machias Valley Observer – Download Article (PDF)
- March 10, 2010 – “Making radio waves: Alfred man gets exposure for his audio dramas” – Current Publishing – View online, or Portland Press Herald – Download Article (PDF)
- July 3, 2014 – “Maine Calling” features radio drama revival with Fred Greenhalgh, Tim Sample, Michele Cobb
- October 27, 2010 – “Severed Threads: From Downtown Manhattan to Suburban Minneapolis” – BBC Radio 4 Blog
- July 1, 2010 – Upstage, CKUT in Montreal, guest and debut of Troll of Stony Brook
- March 25, 2010 – MyTechnologyLawyer Radio Show; Scott interviews Radio Drama producer Fred Greenhalgh – Archive Link or MP3 Download
- October 12, 2009 – Guest on The SFFaudio Podcast #039 – http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=12027
- September 27, 2008 – “Low Budget Podcast Production,” Guest on Small Business Website Mailbag – http://www.jimdegerstrom.com/podcast/2008/09/low-budget-podcast-production.html
- October 31, 2007 – “Halloween Special,” Guest on Portland Press Herald’s NXT Generation Podcast – http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/blog/blogs/nxt-next-generation/the-nxt-halloween-special